Growing your hair out can be so hard! It’s a long process and it’s hard to keep your hair healthy during the transition! Especially during the summer, with the sun and the wear and tear your hair takes. So, I came up with a list of 10 most helpful hair growing tips, that are easy and don’t cost a fortune!
1. Cold Water: It can help in more ways than one. Rinsing out your hair with cold water closes your pores, and it’s also a lot healthier than using scorching hot water on your scalp; which will dry it out, and give you limp, frizzy hair. (The goosebumps are worth the healthy hair!) Also staying hydrated with cold water helps your hair grow faster. If the body is hydrated, the hair is hydrated. (It also helps with all areas of your body, especially acne, and clearing up your face.)
2. Dry With Caution: Blow drying your hair daily can tangle, and leave a lot of damage; especially if it’s on high heat. It may feel good, but it is causing your scalp to dry, and your hair to tangle and damage. Instead, try air drying, or pat it down with a towel. However, if you are in a time crunch and you HAVE to blow dry, dry it on cool. The less heat your hair has to go through, the better.
3. Eat with Care: Like water (” if your body is hydrated you are hydrated:), food is a lot the same. If you are feeding yourself junk, your hair is gonna show it. I found a list of good hair food which contained: fruits, vegetable, sweet potatoes, walnuts, eggs, bananas, salmon, strawberries, and kidney beans. You don’t need to make this a strict diet, but a few of these a week, and vegetables, and fruit daily, you will see a change in your hair strength.
4. The Trouble with Combing: We’ve all heard the secret to long hair is “Brushing your hair 100 times a day will give you shiny healthy hair.” Well they lied. Excessive combing can cause breakage and dries out hair. When you get out of the shower, you should comb through with a wide tooth comb. Ratting your hair will also cause damage, especially to your roots, which is where the growth comes from. If you want a voluminous look, try adding mousse to your roots, instead of harmfully ratting it. Also tight ponytails and harsh styling will strain your hair. Give it a rest and let it down, and go natural for a few days out of the week. Natural beauty is the best beauty!
5.Protect from Chlorine: We still have more summer to go, and chlorine can be very damaging to hair. (It also turns mine green… -_-) But my friend had the idea to put conditioner in her hair before we went swimming. After, we showered and my hair smelled like chlorine, was an even darker shade of green, and impossible to comb through. Hers on the other hand, was soft, smelled good, and the green wasn’t there. Needless to say, I now put conditioner in my hair before swimming. You can also use a swim cap to protect it from getting chlorine, but if chlorine does touch it, just wash your hair out as soon as ya can! Don’t let it sit in your hair for very long after swimming, wash wash wash!
6. Use the Right Shampoo: Washing your hair is necessary to get rid of build up in your follicles, but it is also a good idea to find a shampoo that is designed for your hair. It will say right on the bottle what the shampoo and conditioner are designed for what type of hair. Use the one that your hair best fits and needs.
7. Vitamins: Though they aren’t necessary, they can help your hair grow longer and stronger, a bit faster. You can buy hair and nail vitamins at any local drug store. Even if you aren’t buying vitamins for hair and skin, it’s important that you are getting all your vitamins in. Taking a pill to get your full daily vitamins will also help hair growth and strength.
8. Don’t Wash Your Hair Daily: Your hair produces oils that can also be healthy for your hair. Washing it everyday won’t allow those oils to help your hair get healthy. Your hair will also be dry and damaged from everyday washing. My friend’s hair stylist told her she needs to train her hair to not get greasy. You need to show your hair who is boss. She went 6 days without washing it. Then she went 4 days, and 5 days, and etc. Her hair didn’t get greasy as fast, and she could tell it was getting stronger. My hair is also greasy, but I have started to “train my hair” and I feel I can go longer without washing my hair, and not having it nasty and greasy! Try it out! :)
9. Cut the Split Ends: Even though trims can be a little devastating to let that extra hair length go, it is for the best. You were gonna lose the ends eventually since they would’ve broken off, so a trim is good for continual hair growth. Your hair will also seem more full, and it will be easier to maintain.
10. Massage and Condition: Massage your scalp when you are applying your shampoo and conditioner. Even during the week, you can massage your scalp. This helps blood flow get to the follicles and helps your hair grow. Not to mention it feels amazing.
Wishing you the best and fastest hair growth! Hope this helps!